Dr Daniel Aquilina is the partner heading GANADO Advocates’ Banking Ship Finance and Aviation teams, assisting leading international banks and financial institutions involved in the financing of Maltese registered vessels and aircraft by perfecting the registration of Mortgages and Security Interests. Daniel has considerable experience in the drafting of Maltese law regulated security and has been involved in complex multi-vessel and aircraft transactions, including advice relating to alternative ship finance mechanisms and structures under Maltese law. He has been involved in major Maltese ship finance deals for several years, advising major multinational and providers/arrangers of finance with loan restructuring and mortgage enforcement matters. He also advises on ship sale and purchase, shipbuilding contracts, ship registration and all other aspects of ship purchase, chartering and operation.
Daniel formed part of the team engaged to develop and draft Malta’s Aircraft Registration Act and was instrumental in Malta’s decision to accede to the Cape Town Convention and the Aircraft Protocol. He continues to contribute to the legislative development of Maltese aviation laws and has recently assisted and advised Transport Malta with recommended amendments and general fine-tuning of the existing legislation.
Daniel was the Secretary of the Malta Maritime Law Association and Council Member of the Maritime Legislative Advisory Council for many years and now continues to give his contribution as a member of the Association. He also served on the board of governors of the International Propeller Club, Port of Valletta. In 2016, he was appointed Chairman of Malta Marittima Agency – the Maltese Government’s Agency which aims to enhance co-operation between the maritime industry and Government stakeholders, in order to continue developing the Maltese maritime industry.
- GANADO Advocates, Partner: 2009
- GANADO Advocates, Senior Associate: 2007
- GANADO Advocates, Associate: 2001
- Master of Laws (LL.M) (Maritime Law), 2001 (I.M.L.I)
- Doctor of Laws (LL.D), 2001 (Malta)
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A), 1998 (Malta)
- Admitted to the Maltese Bar, Superior Courts of Malta
- Member of the Chamber of Advocates
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Committee Member of the Malta Maritime Law Association
- Council Member of the Maritime Legislative Advisory Council
- Member of the Board of Governors of the International Propeller Club, Port of Valletta
- Member of the Malta Business Aviation Association
- Chairman of Malta Marittima Agency