Dr Daniel Aquilina is the partner heading GANADO Advocates’ Banking Ship Finance and Aviation teams, assisting leading international banks and financial institutions involved in the financing of Maltese registered vessels and aircraft by perfecting the registration of Mortgages and Security Interests. Daniel has considerable experience in the drafting of Maltese law regulated security and has been involved in complex multi-vessel and aircraft transactions, including advice relating to alternative ship finance mechanisms and structures under Maltese law. He has been involved in major Maltese ship finance deals for several years, advising major multinational and providers/arrangers of finance with loan restructuring and mortgage enforcement matters.
Daniel formed part of the team engaged to develop and draft Malta’s Aircraft Registration Act and was instrumental in Malta’s decision to accede to the Cape Town Convention and the Aircraft Protocol. He continues to contribute to the legislative development of Maltese aviation and shipping laws and is currently assisting and advising Transport Malta with recommended amendments and general fine-tuning of the existing legislation.
- GANADO Advocates, Partner: 2009
- GANADO Advocates, Senior Associate: 2007
- GANADO Advocates, Associate: 2001
- Master of Laws (LL.M) (Maritime Law), 2001 (I.M.L.I)
- Doctor of Laws (LL.D), 2001 (Malta)
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A), 1998 (Malta)
- Admitted to the Maltese Bar, Superior Courts of Malta
- Member of the Chamber of Advocates
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Committee Member of the Malta Maritime Law Association
- Council Member of the Maritime Legislative Advisory Council
- Member of the Board of Governors of the International Propeller Club, Port of Valletta
- Member of the Malta Business Aviation Association
- Chairman of Malta Marittima Agency