T: +356 2123 5406
Dr. Max Ganado has been practising law for over 35 years. He started his career as a maritime lawyer dealing with all aspects of shipping, including ship finance. He became a Partner of the firm in 1986 and moved on to develop the Financial Services practices at GANADO Advocates. He has been heavily involved in the drafting of new legislation required for the development of Malta as a financial centre, including the revision of the law relating to trusts and the law on legal persons and foundations, as well as on netting, securitisation and aviation. He is now heavily involved in the design and development of laws and practice around DLT and smart contracts as Malta takes a proactive stance in this regard.
Max has been delivering lectures on varied subjects for a number of years, having been actively involved in disseminating education to the Maltese legal professions and Maltese law students. He has published various articles and has acted as editor of a number of publications.
Max was the firm’s Managing Partner for 6 years. In 2015, he moved into a Senior Partner position within the firm, taking over a mix of duties, some professional and others relating to strategy.
- GANADO Advocates, Senior Partner: 2015
- GANADO Advocates, Managing Partner: 2008
- GANADO Advocates, Partner:1986
- University of Malta, External Lecturer: 1984 – 2013
- International Maritime Law Institute (IMLI), External Lecturer:1984 – 2013
- TEP Dip (ITM) – Full Member of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP), 2010
- Master of Laws (LL.M), 1983 (Canada)
- Doctor of Laws (LL.D), 1982 (Malta)
- Admitted to the Maltese Bar, Superior Courts of Malta
- Member of the Malta Chamber of Advocates, the International Bar Association, the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners, The International Academy of Estate & Trust Law and the Institute of Financial Services Practitioners
- Member of the Law Advisory Panel to the Aviation Working Group in relation to the Cape Town Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment and its Aircraft Protocol
- Founding Member of the Mediterranean Maritime Arbitration Association and Chairman of the Malta Arbitration Centre (2000-2004)
- Former Member of Law Drafting Committees (1988-2013) on the Merchant Shipping Act, Investment Services laws, the Set-Off and Netting on Insolvency Act, the Securitisation Act, the Trusts and Trustees Act, the Civil Code on derivatives, life insurance, factoring, legal personality, foundations and associations and the Voluntary Organisations Act and Aircraft registration and financing and currently leading teams on other legislative projects