Dr Sylvann Aquilina Zahra specialises in EU and Maltese competition law. She provides advice to clients on antitrust, merger control and State aid law and assists them in competition investigations, competition litigation and merger notifications.
As former Director General of the Office for Competition within the Malta Competition and Consumer Affairs Authority, as well as a senior case handler for a number of years, Sylvann was involved in many investigations concerning anti-competitive agreements and abuse of dominance in various sectors and often participated in proceedings before the Competition and Consumer Appeals Tribunal and the superior courts. She also had the opportunity to assess a number of mergers and acquisitions. She participated in various seminars and conferences on competition law and represented the Office for Competition in various fora, including the European Competition Network, OECD and UNCTAD.
Sylvann also provides assistance in matters involving the application of EU law and in human rights cases.
She is a visiting senior lecturer, tutor and examiner with the Faculty of Laws and the Institute for European Studies within the University of Malta. Her teaching areas cover competition law, human rights in the EU and administrative law.
- GANADO Advocates, Consultant (2014)
- Malta Competition and Consumer Affairs Authority, Director General of the Office for Competition
- University of Malta, Visiting Senior Lecturer (2012-to date), Examiner (2000-to date), Visiting
- Office of the Prime Minister, Senior Legal Adviser (2010-2011)
- European Commission, Competition Directorate-General, Researcher (2003-2004)
- Consumer and Competition Division, Senior Case Officer (2008-2010), Senior Legal Officer (2004-
2008, 2001), Director (2003), Assistant Director (2002), Legal Officer (2001-1998)
- Office of the Attorney General, Legal Officer (1998), Junior Legal Officer (1996)
- Magister Juris in European and Comparative Law (M.Jur.), 1996 (Oxford), awarded First Class
- Doctor of laws (LLD), 1995 (Malta)
- Diploma Notary Public (Dip. Not. Pub), 1993 (Malta)
- Admitted to the Maltese Bar, Superior Courts of Malta
- British Chevening Scholarship